Faucet repair is virtually inevitable. At some point in time, a faucet within your home will develop a leak or function in an incorrect way. Homes across America have a leaky faucet that goes unfixed for great lengths of time. This could spell extensive water damage to the homeowner. This is where you visit https://www.kitchenhomelet.com/glacier-bay-faucet-reviews/ for some amazing and useful tips that will help you in repairing your ceramic disk type faucets without any professional help.
If repaired in a timely manner, water damage can be avoided. water damage isn’t the only concern when you have a leaky faucet. Remember, you must pay for all of the water that passes through your house even if it’s dripping out of an unused faucet. A leaky faucet can cost you a significant amount of money on wasted water if left unchecked. Finally, a leaky faucet wastes water.
Now that you are aware of why a faucet should be repaired, let’s turn to the actual repair process. Repairing a faucet is a simple task. On the scale of 1 to 10 with 10 being the most difficult home improvement task, common faucet repair scores around a 2 or 3. The job of repairing a faucet is really a task that almost any homeowner can accomplish.
This article will discuss tips and techniques for repairing a relatively new type of faucet. This faucet uses ceramic discs to control water flow. A ceramic disk faucet is reliable and seldom develops any problems. However, if a problems arises with a ceramic disc faucet, repair is simple provided that you follow the tips and techniques listed below.
- Shut off the water supply to the faucet. As with virtually any plumbing repair, water must be shut off before work can proceed.
- Have a towel on hand to wipe up any spills that occur. Water finds its way into every nook and cranny. The towel can catch small water spills immediately before migrating elsewhere.
- Have a bowl nearby and ready. A bowl can be used to catch unexpected, major water leaks that could develop during the repair process.
- Close the drain valve to the sink. Numerous small items have been known to disappear down the drain. By closing the valve, you prevent anything from entering the drain.
- Take some time now to gather some of the essential tools of the trade. You will need an adjustable wrench, a screwdriver, and pliers to complete the task.
- Begin the repair by removing the handle. The handle is typically held in place by a small set screw. The screw will either by a slotted screw or an allen type screw.
- With the handle removed, remove the escutcheon from the faucet. An escutcheon is a fancy name for the trim piece in place.
- Unscrew the mounting screws for the cylinder containing the discs. Remove the cylinder.
- Remove the seals beneath the cylinder. Clean the cylinder and the seals with water. Remove any build up or sludge present and reassemble the faucet.
- If the leak persists, you will need to replace the cylinder containing the ceramic discs.
Though a ceramic disc faucet typically is reliable, a leak could still occur. By cleaning the cylinder and seals, most leaks will vanish. This type of faucet is simple to fix and any do it yourself can easily accomplish the task. By doing it yourself, you will save money versus hiring a plumber and save a significant amount over replacing the entire faucet. Faucet repair is a task for virtually anyone. By following the tips above, your faucet will work like new again.