Until few years back, it might have been a major task to be able to build a chevy stroker engine but it is not so now. Now, it is quite easy to locate and gather all the aftermarket parts and put together all those cubic inches of the engine one by one. It really isn’t that difficult but there are certainly a few things that you must know about it, before starting out at all.
As a rule of thumb, you will find it easier to avoid any hurdles at all if you purchase the entire rotating assembly packet, including the pistons, rods and crank, instead of going for just any one of them.
Getting to Know the Engine
Mygaragetool explains all that you need to know about building the perfect chevy stroker engine. In order to reach the expected horsepower and the torque numbers, you will have to work around the cubes for real. If you were to talk to the most seasoned engine builders, you would get to know that they use time and tested techniques to build the best engines, again and again.
Here are some of the best tips to build the desired Chevy Stroker Engine of your dreams.
- You need to be able to think outside the box. It is not always about the best experience at building the right engine. It makes all the difference between being an engine assembler and an engine architect.
- You always need to check all the corner bores of the engine before putting together everything. Check all the eight for their consistency and you will find your job getting easier.
- Welsh plugs are highly underrated. Not enough thought is given to their function and operation. Using brass and stainless steel plugs will help in avoiding corrosion. For this reason, you must never use steel welsh plugs.
- Give attention to the lifter bores which should be corrected for use during the machining process. They allow for greater oil control and add stability to the function of the engine.
- Get blueprints for an oil pump before hand. It is important to check the relief valve and the spring to ensure that it has enough space for movement. At the end, you will also be required to check the thickness gauge and the depth with the help of a micrometer. An ARP Pump shaft will help you check the cavity within the pump and help in the process of engine assembly.
- Make use of cylinder head studs, in place of a bolt which proves to be better for the process of clamping. This will prove to be useful in case of running compression without much boost.
- Always go for degreeing a camshaft, no matter who it came from. This will help you in ascertaining its specifications. This will also help in eliminating any variations between the card and the camshaft.
- Your engine should always include hardened exhaust valves and stainless valves that go better with the fuel these days.
- Always go for a clearance check of all the engine parts. From the camshaft endplay to the rod side clearances, it is easy to miss out one or more things if you don’t have the head one idea about it.
- Always, at the time of firing the engine, make sure that you have primed the oiling systems well. Spin the pump to check how the galleys are moving. This will save all your engine parts from any undue damage.
- Ring endgaps should be checked at the time of assembly to ensure that they are in place.
- Sleeve out any cylinder bores which have worn out excessively.
- Use a tag rag in the wipedown parts of the engine which will avoid leaving lint on the removable parts of the engine.
- Before installing the oil pan, always check for pickup clearance because if that happens without the gasket, it will impact the performance of the engine.
These point broadly cover what you need to know about the assembly of a Chevy stroker engine. Hopefully, this will help you get the best one up soon.